Solstice has arrived for us to honour the darkness and to welcome the return of the light.
It is time to let go of whatever is no longer serving us and to welcome in what we truly yearn for in our lives.
If there’s one thing we all share in this messy journey of being human, it’s the dance between the darkness and the light. May we all embrace both. All the muck and the magic of being human and may we courageously decide to thrive and bring light into the darkness in this world of ours.
However you celebrate the season, and whether you’re celebrating with a motley crew or on your own, I wanted to quickly share some ideas about honouring these times.
Winter Solstice is my favorite! I’ve had an amazing month sharing joy and play through the free Decide to Thrive Solstice Advent Calendar and now enjoying my own Winter Solstice celebrations with family and friends.
This is my wish for you on the Solstice:
May the long time sun shine upon you,
All love surround you,
And the pure light within you,
Guide your way on.
Scottish Blessing and Kundalini Yoga Farewell Blessing
May you know how unique and powerfully important your light is in the world. And may you let it shine my friend, let it shine.
On so many levels it’s hard to believe that here we are, Dec 21st. For us in the north, our Winter solstice, a turning point in our year when we step over the threshold into winter and the lengthening of our days. The return of the light.
In the southern hemisphere we honour the summer solstice at the same time. Everyone, everywhere on the earth today is be connected by this natural rhythm of the seasons and the dance between us and the light of the sun.
It’s the perfect time for a simple ritual. Alone or shared.
Whether you have annual rituals that you’re going to lean into, or new ones you’d like to play with. LEAN IN!
Through all my years of obsessive researching about what cultivates thriving in our lives, there’s a few things that stand out as critical.
- reconnecting with the natural world around us and its natural cycles
- connecting as humans with others around us to celebrate and honour occasions – funerals, birthdays, and even solstice celebrations
- teasing out the sacred in our day to day and honouring it with ritual
- creating conscious moments of reflection
- gaining clarity around what we’re ready to let go of and what we’re wanting to welcome in to our lives: clarity and intention are a powerful pair
This Solstice is an opportunity for each of us to bring these things into our day.
One of my daughters asked the other day: “Mom is that the day when we get to burn stuff?”
Yes, yes it is. LOL!
Every solstice, our family gathers for a very simple ritual:
- We take a moment to reflect on what we’re ready to let go of, ready to leave behind to make way for something new.
- And what we want to bring more of into our lives.
- We capture what we’re ready to release on small slips of paper and whether a large fire or a single candle on the ground, we take turns and we release our notes in the flame. And we welcome more light into our hearts and our lives.
We all love this super simple ritual and moment of connection as a family. (And it’s simple enough that we can pull it off every year!)
We’ve also loved participating in lantern walks, many cities have walks you can join, and we’ve often crafted our own lanterns for the walk. Papier Maché or gluing tissue paper on to the outside of an old jar and putting a tea light inside is a beautiful way to create a simple lantern.
How would you like to honour the solstice?
It doesn’t need to be extravagant. When it comes to ritual, simplicity is powerful. Perhaps a quiet evening by candlelight… that’s sounding pretty darn inviting to me!
We’re truly in this together as you and I and everyone around this huge planet step over this threshold together. I’d LOVE to hear how you celebrate the solstice!
Solstice Blessings to you and yours,
Curious about bringing back YOUR light all year long? Take a peek at the Decide to Thrive Immersion. The world has never needed your light more.